Visit our blog for all the latest news in complementary therapy and a more in depth look at all our therapies and therapists
Yoga Posture of the Month – September – Half Moon
September 11th, 2017
September Posture of the Month
Ardha Chandrasana – the Half Moon
Many postures in Yoga require flexibility in the hips and the inner thighs to accomplish them. And once you have made progress on achieving this flexibility it’s amazing what you can do!
This posture is described in its final form and can be challenging, so practice it gently to begin with and use a block to rest your supporting hand on.
- Develops strength in the feet and legs
- Supports balance and confidence
- Improves concentration/focus
- Improves mobility in the hips and pelvis
How to do it
- Stand with your feet wide apart – turn your right foot out, lengthen your spine
- On a breath in, extend your arms out at shoulder height
- On a breath out, bend your right knee and begin to transfer your weight on to it
- Allow your left arm to relax against your body
- Extend your right arm and bring the hand to rest on the floor or on a block as you straighten your right leg (the weight-bearing one)
- Once you are stable, lift the left hip upward and back a little to bring your body into line
- Ensure you keep you head and shoulders in line too
- Breathe gently and hold the position
- To return, bend your right leg and return your left foot to the floor, swinging the arms up to shoulder height
- Relax your arms to your sides
- Repeat to the other side
Things to watch
- Move gently and smoothly
- Ensure you are fully balanced on the supporting foot before raising the other leg
- Focus on your breathing, extending the breath out as you remain in the posture
- Try to maintain good alignment through your body – head shoulders, spine, hips and legs
Link for more info: https://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/half-moon-pose-2
Note that the way of moving into the posture is different from the way I describe it, which may work better for some people.
Where do I start?
Don't know where to start with complementary medecine.Get in Touch