Visit our blog for all the latest news in complementary therapy and a more in depth look at all our therapies and therapists
Recipe of the Month: November – Sugar Free Chocolate Cake
November 05th, 2015
Every month Nicky Seabrook is going to be posting a different recipe here on our website that highlights a specific nutritional need or issue.
This month, and with so much about it in the news, she focuses on a treat you can bake if you want to reduce your sugar consumption. This sugar free cake uses xylitol as its sweetener. You can find out more about xylitol here.
Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
- 200g plain flour
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp salt
- 100g xylitol
- 2 eggs
- 150ml olive oil
- 150g good quality dark chocolate
- 220g grated courgettes
- 55g walnuts or hazelnuts finely chopped (optional)
- For the Icing
- 250g cream cheese
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. xylitol
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4 and line the base of a 20cm(8inch) loose-based cake tin with greaseproof paper. Grease the sides of the tin.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Stir in the Xylitol.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs into the oil.
- Melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering hot water.
- Stir the eggs and oil into the dry ingredients, and then mix in the melted chocolate, courgettes and nuts if you are using them.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until the cake is well risen and cooked in the middle. (Test with a skewer and if it comes out clean the cake is done)
- Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack before icing.
- To make the icing, mix the cream cheese, vanilla extract and xylitol together until smooth and then spread on the cake. (If freezing, ice once cake has been defrosted)
If you’d like to find out more about nutrition and the work Nicky Seabrook does at the centre you can find her page here or call us on 01394 388234.
Where do I start?
Don't know where to start with complementary medicine.Get in Touch